forerunner of Middlechurch Home of Winnipeg Inc was organized on February 21, 1883. The organization was incorporated on April 29,
1884, as the Christian Women's Union of Winnipeg, and officially recognized by the
provincial government with a grant of $500.00 for the purpose of providing a temporary
home for female immigrants, and also as a lying-in or maternity hospital. There were originally two homes. The home for women was on Lydia Street and a
children's unit was on Albert Street. In
1905, the first elderly woman was given temporary shelter.
1906, there was a major policy change, and the home on Lydia Street was reassigned as the
first "home for the elderly". The
work with children continued as a separate organization, and it is believed that it later
became the Children's Home of Winnipeg.
present site was purchased in 1907 from the federal government who had been operating an
Indian residential school, which was partially destroyed by fire. An undamaged three-story frame building became the
new home and the elderly persons from Lydia Street took up residence. A new building was constructed in 1930; the south
"staff" building was renovated in 1962, and demolished in 1987.
name of the corporation was changed to "The Middlechurch Home of Winnipeg" in
1958 and in 1962 the hostel building was constructed to accommodate 125 residents
including a 24 bed infirmary. To meet the
changing needs of the elderly, an adjoining personal care home was constructed in 1968 to
accommodate 88 residents. In 1973, nursing
home care became an
service under the Manitoba Health
Act. Provincial standards, funding
arrangements and residential charges were established, including a requirement for minimum
ancillary space per resident. Building
renovations in 1976 resulted in a decrease of one bed.
A study conducted by the Board of Management in 1978 revealed that the current
ancillary space in The Home was below the provincial requirement. Subsequently, a committee of the board was
established to develop a plan for an activity centre to rectify the deficiency.
from corporations, the public sector, and the friends of The Middlechurch Home of Winnipeg
provided the capital costs for construction of the activity centre, which was officially
opened on May 5, 1981.
1985 and 1992 three major projects occurred which provided for a new sprinkler
fire protection system; new plumbing throughout and, a new wing and enclosed 20,000 square
foot courtyard. Facilities now provide
services for all levels of care (1-4) and, ancillary programs including adult day and
In 1995, a Community Services Program was launched in cooperation
with the municipalities of East and West St. Paul. This
program continues to expand as needs are identified.
Low cost services to seniors and physically challenged persons are both
facilitated and provided directly by The Middlechurch Home of
outreach programs (foot care, meals on wheels, and homemaking) are delivered/facilitated
from "The Home". Other
programs/services will be developed on an as needed basis.
Middlechurch on the Red Inc (MORI) a 30 unit life lease housing apartment facility was
completed. A physical link allows residents
of the housing unit access to a variety of ancillary services from The Home,
as well as, access to the MCH Community Services Program.
the board and management are continuing strategic and long term future planning.
December 1998, the board entered into a service agreement with the Winnipeg Community and
Long Term Care Authority.
In 2000 following amalgamation of the
WCA and WHA, our agreement was extended to the new Winnipeg Regional Health Authority.
In 2002, our new and five
year service purchase agreement was signed with the WRHA.
In 2004, The Middlechurch
Home of Winnipeg was changed to Middlechurch Home of Winnipeg Inc.
As part of our commitment
to the community we serve, in 2006 we undertook a feasibility study for
redevelopment of the A/D wings. As a result of that study we have been
working with the WRHA on a plan for capital improvements to older areas of
the facility including the A/D and C wings. In addition, we commenced our
own fundraising efforts to meet our share of the capital requirements as
well as to provide any amenities above and beyond WRHA funding. We continue
to be optimistic that this project will proceed in the near future.
2009 marks another milestone in the history
of the home. Coincidently in the same month our history began, April; is
the 25th anniversary of the Middlechurch Home Auxiliary.
In 2009 the original sponsor and “corporate
body” of our organization, “The Christian Woman’s
Union” is 125 years old. The corporation,
which is now Middlechurch Home of Winnipeg
Inc celebrates 100 years on this site.